Welcome to the Nobody Likes Onions Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    NLO Forums Regular TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold

Default NLO Trading Card Game

I've been working on my own TCG for a while now, and want something to break the monotony of it all. So I thought i'd try an NLO based game for the funnies.

Now, obviously I'm posting here, so I have no idea where to start. So I thought I'd ask you people (Seeing as you'd be the ones playing after all.. I'd hope).

What type of thing would you like to see in an NLO game?
    SomeGuyFromScotland for Mod.

NLO Fan Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute

Well to get it started:

You would need a card for each person that has been on the show, even the one and done ones. You would then be able to do object cards like an acorn penis card, cards for each sponsor they have had and other memorable things from show episodes.

I would also include action cards like Kill Yourself and public outcry cards from Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton, maybe one from the famous fucking a baby incident.

The idea of the game could be to become internationally famous (think on Oprah famous).

Then you could have location cards, Stand up comedy club, Vegas, Houston, the studio and IHOP.
    Owning a flamethrower is legal in 40 states. What if those 40 states gang up on the other 10? What if I live in one of the 10?

NLO Forums Resident Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future

I don't have anything constructive to add, but I have to say this: It's a fucking great idea.

NLO Forums Regular TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold TristezaR is a splendid one to behold

Storrms: Thats a fucking brilliant idea.
    Marios_Shadow: Thanks Any input is great even if its just support.
    SomeGuyFromScotland for Mod.

NLO Forums Member FSUMike has a spectacular aura about FSUMike has a spectacular aura about FSUMike has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget the Health Initiative 08, pregnancy scare and cock mold cards.

Hardcore NLO Fan Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute

"Cowbell of Shame card" - "Opponent misses one turn."

Hardcore NLO Fan JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit, the fact that you're taking on the project on your own is impressive indeed. If you need a designer for this stuff then feel free to message me.
    Check some of my stuff out at: http://www.ross-hendry.deviantart.com/

Hardcore NLO Fan danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute danny noonan has a reputation beyond repute

does the chef card come with a penny glued to the back?
    a playing poker online again card.
    need a diet coke card.
    of course a beer is good one too.
    penalty card for smelling up the bathroom before a show.
    go open the door for someone whos late.

i could go on all day...

NLO Forums Member TheShadyGnome is a jewel in the rough TheShadyGnome is a jewel in the rough TheShadyGnome is a jewel in the rough

I think he's after more fundamentals at this stage rather than specific cards... he needs rules and stuff which is the tricky part.

I don't know if you're trying to use another card game as a basis, but it may not be a good idea to have show hosts as the "monsters"/main card type, since there's so few of them. Maybe each host could be a "class", and the main cards are jokes or something...

Or, the player plays as a certain host? Different cards have certain effects based on which host you're playing as; each has their advantages/disadvantages.

Actually, maybe the main cards could be people, if you count forumers, BPOW/news story people... yeah, do that. I like Stormms ideas too.

Also, when a player loses they're banned from the show. :P

Hardcore NLO Fan Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute Skitchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadyGnome View Post
    Or, the player plays as a certain host? Different cards have certain effects based on which host you're playing as; each has their advantages/disadvantages.
    I like this idea.
    Like if you're playing as Johnny, you get an immunity to the cowbell of shame card, but you have a weakness to the chocoloate covered bacon card, so it does twice the damage or effect. Ie "Chocolate covered bacon" - "Gives chocolate covered bacon to an opponent making them miss a turn", give it to Johnny and he'll be too busy mouthfucking it and miss 2 turns

NLO Forums Member JacobX891 has a spectacular aura about JacobX891 has a spectacular aura about JacobX891 has a spectacular aura about

Maybe each of the 'Host cards' could have a certain power attributed to them. They could be rare cards. Patrick's power could be 'banned from the show', which removes a card from the field. Hollywood's power could be 'unprepared for the show', which makes all the other players show their hands, Roy's could be 'talk over everyone', which makes the player who uses it draw an extra card, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobX891 View Post
    Maybe each of the 'Host cards' could have a certain power attributed to them. They could be rare cards. Patrick's power could be 'banned from the show', which removes a card from the field. Hollywood's power could be 'unprepared for the show', which makes all the other players show their hands, Roy's could be 'talk over everyone', which makes the player who uses it draw an extra card, etc.
    Johnny's could be "beat the joke to death" which causes an opponent's joke card to be ineffective.

EDIT:
    "Patrick uses Dick Joke!"
    "Johnny beats it to death and incurs no damage!"

...I think you should keep HP on the cards. But it'll stand for "Humiliation Points" and each joke comes with a certain about of humiliation attached to it. Once they host is out of HP, they become humiliated and "storm out of the studio" (out of the game). Johnny could have the "Welp... Bye bye fans!" power which allows him to return to the game in 5 turns if the game is still on. Only he'll only have half HP and the power can only be used once. And you could have some of the jokes absorb HP from an opponent, so you can last longer. Or "musical break" card - "Gain [x] HP during the break.", as well as like the "Gimme a diet coke" card - "Gain [x] HP by drinking during the show, miss a turn."

And I don't think that we should call them "games" or "matches". Instead, we'll call them "shows."

That's my 2 cents for the moment.
    Last edited by Skitchy; May 9, 2009 at 09:56 PM.

NLO Forums Survivor thebeast234 is a splendid one to behold thebeast234 is a splendid one to behold thebeast234 is a splendid one to behold thebeast234 is a splendid one to behold thebeast234 is a splendid one to behold thebeast234 is a splendid one to behold

We all remember Yu Gi Oh, right? Or am I just a geek? Let's go for something like that if we can.

NLO Fan Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute Stormms has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know if you need more. I have played several CCGs including Legend of the Five Rings, Star Wars, MtG, some Pirates one, a Marvel Super Hero one, Net Hack and I still own about 100,000 Magic the Gathering cards. I feel pretty confident I could work out a game based on the show pretty easily.
    Owning a flamethrower is legal in 40 states. What if those 40 states gang up on the other 10? What if I live in one of the 10?

NLO Forums Resident Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future Marios_shadow has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Skitchy View Post
    Johnny's could be "beat the joke to death" which causes an opponent's joke card to be ineffective.

EDIT:
    "Patrick uses Dick Joke!"
    "Johnny beats it to death and incurs no damage!"

...I think you should keep HP on the cards. But it'll stand for "Humiliation Points" and each joke comes with a certain about of humiliation attached to it. Once they host is out of HP, they become humiliated and "storm out of the studio" (out of the game). Johnny could have the "Welp... Bye bye fans!" power which allows him to return to the game in 5 turns if the game is still on. Only he'll only have half HP and the power can only be used once. And you could have some of the jokes absorb HP from an opponent, so you can last longer. Or "musical break" card - "Gain [x] HP during the break.", as well as like the "Gimme a diet coke" card - "Gain [x] HP by drinking during the show, miss a turn."

And I don't think that we should call them "games" or "matches". Instead, we'll call them "shows."

That's my 2 cents for the moment.
    That right there is brilliant. Change "Storm out of the studio" into "Punching donuts" and I'm there. (That could also be a card)

I have an idea to expand the cowbell of shame card that ties in with my HP idea. Rather than the earlier rule of "miss a turn", I think that it should be played like this.

Your opponent uses a joke card. If you have the Cowbell of Shame card in your hand, you can use it during your opponent's turn just after they play the joke card to stop yourself taking damage as well as reflecting a portion of the damage onto your opponent. Say 50%. But if we want to include host "powers", then you could have certain hosts take less damage from it, say 25% or be immune to it all together, and inversely, they could take 75% to 100% damage from the joke. Ultimately you'd have to figure out who has which power and who doesn't have any kind of power involving the cowbell.

What I think would work is... You get all the host cards, shuffle them and hand them to each player face down, so nobody knows who they're playing as and you use the rules of the host to play, and thus unique powers. I think the jokes should come in different classes as well. Like some jokes will only be effective against certain hosts like "Call Johnny a hack", which will only work against JB. Played against anyone else, it's pointless. I think a rule if you're playing as Dagre is if you get a "beer" card in your hand it has to be played no matter what. And the joke you play in that turn will only do 50% damage that it would normally do.

Then again, these ideas could only serve to complicate things.

NLO Forums Regular Knave is a splendid one to behold Knave is a splendid one to behold Knave is a splendid one to behold Knave is a splendid one to behold Knave is a splendid one to behold Knave is a splendid one to behold Knave is a splendid one to behold Knave is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Skitchy View Post
    "Cowbell of Shame card" - "Opponent misses one turn."
    I was thinking more '#twitter timeout 1' - Target player misses one turn, and maybe some other, longer timeouts.

You could make a sort of template, and then all of us could make our own cards. There would have to be rules for this of course, but it's an idea.

Backlash card flusters JB, cuts attack by %50 for next three turns.

Johnny plays "Forums card" against Patrick.
    Patrick rants about the forums, misses a turn.

Hardcore NLO Fan neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute neums has a reputation beyond repute

If you were to divide up the jokes into classes, the majority would be black jokes. Then you could play the Keisha Butler card a.k.a. the Race Card.

Plus, song tokens should be worked in somehow, too.

Could you imagine if people got together to do a marathon show? You'd start with just a few "hosts"; as some "leave the show," other hosts can come in. You would end the game by playing the "I don't want to play radio no more!" card.