Welcome to the Nobody Likes Onions Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Gentine!

Default Adobe is moving all their applications to web platform. Fucking Morons.

What does this mean?

Yes, in a few years you'll be using Photoshop and Acrobat through your web browser! IMAGINE THE LATENCY!

Wow. Everybody seems to be caught up in the "web application" craze, without realizing that it's TOTALLY STUPID.

What if your internet goes out? What if there's no network connection and you need to use one of your programs?

The Internet is sometimes unreliable. I'd rather not have my word processor time out on me.

Source: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/19/1327225

Hardcore NLO Fan ScottMaximus is a splendid one to behold ScottMaximus is a splendid one to behold ScottMaximus is a splendid one to behold ScottMaximus is a splendid one to behold ScottMaximus is a splendid one to behold ScottMaximus is a splendid one to behold ScottMaximus is a splendid one to behold

There is no way in hell that Adobe will ever stop selling the packaged version of Photoshop or Illustrator. It's entirely unfeasible to depend on a web-based platform for corporate documents and illustrations that may be considered "trade secrets." Not to mention that Adobe is already raking in the cash from every desktop platform they have.

This is not going to happen, I guarantee it.

edit: I'm not ruling out limited web-based versions of Adobe products, but this is really a back door to enable a truly cross platform Photoshop rather than developing Mac and PC separately. They're never going to stop selling the packaged "put the disc and install" versions though.

this is the real link rather than the linkjacked /. version
    http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...E-SERVICES.xml
    Last edited by ScottMaximus; October 21, 2007 at 01:39 PM.

NLO Forums Frequenter Infinite has a spectacular aura about Infinite has a spectacular aura about

If the move the WHOLE suite to the web I bet that designers, producers and so on will be pretty pissed. But if they just make mobile and light-weight versions of the applications it might be pretty sweet.

NLO Forums Frequenter Euclid will become famous soon enough Euclid will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMaximus View Post
    There is no way in hell that Adobe will ever stop selling the packaged version of Photoshop or Illustrator. It's entirely unfeasible to depend on a web-based platform for corporate documents and illustrations that may be considered "trade secrets." Not to mention that Adobe is already raking in the cash from every desktop platform they have.

This is not going to happen, I guarantee it.

edit: I'm not ruling out limited web-based versions of Adobe products, but this is really a back door to enable a truly cross platform Photoshop rather than developing Mac and PC separately. They're never going to stop selling the packaged "put the disc and install" versions though.

this is the real link rather than the linkjacked /. version
    http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...E-SERVICES.xml
    Agreed. What this is going to do is offer a way for infrequent or beginner would-be users of their software to use it without dropping thousands of dollars or pirating it.

I am very skeptical that service availability is the real basis for outrage here. For one thing, you can't say that it will be too slow because you haven't used it. If we're talking about 2010ish, who's to say what it will be like? And secondly, what kind of tin-can-and-string ISP do you have that you have to worry about downtime? I have crappy Comcast and I can count on one hand the number of times the intertubes have broken during my workday over the past year.

Hardcore NLO Fan Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute Cliff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Euclid View Post
    I have crappy Comcast and I can count on one hand the number of times the intertubes have broken during my workday over the past year.
    Try Verizon. I can count on one hand how many minutes I've been able to keep the tubes from crashing.

If you look, it makes sense that they make a web-based version. I bet they will still sell cd to bussinesses, but they weren't really making money off of normal people. So, this helps the common person, and they aren't loosing money trying to sell copies of it in stores.
    Last edited by Cliff; October 21, 2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Hit the button too early.

amdDROOLZ
    Hardcore NLO Fan AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute AMDRulez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ch.man.14 View Post
    I can count on one hand when my other one gets tired.
    Fixed that for ya.

"AMD, somehow I see you using your incredible rep power to wiggle things out of people." -- Ken

NLO Forums Attendee Sarrk is on a distinguished road

Whoa, whoa, whoa, back it up a bit.

People actually pay for photoshop?

I really cant see this being succesful, with a web application as it is right now, you cant right click, and I prefer using a large screen app as opposed to something in a web browser. :\

NLO Forums Member Shawn is on a distinguished road

Seems like they could combat piracy by making their applications web-only, and then forcing users to pay a fee to access the app's. But, whatever. It's still a stupid idea.

NLO Forums Member Sam has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Even if they did, it's not going to be a AJAX application, it'll probably be client-side anyway. So even if your Internet goes out you can still use it once it's loaded into RAM.

I imagine the overhead would be huge, resending the program and parts of the program when the user needed it. You suddenly decide to use a new feature in your image, your client would hang as it retrieved the data on how to do it. This might if it just grabbed the GUI and while you messing with that it would grab the application logic.

Why would you "upgrade" versions anyway? If CS2 is working for you (or even a prior version) my migrate? There is a learning curve and if it doesn't provide more functionality, there is not point.

Hardcore NLO Fan JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute

This is just retarded ! At the best of times Photoshop uses up a good deal of processing power, I just can't see them even trying to transfer all that over the internet in one go. I mean they're going to load a 2 or 3 GB program through a web browser ? It's not even feasible.

I agree with Scott, there is no way in hell this is going to happen !

I've used Photoshop for about 5 or 6 years now and this is the most idiotic move Adobe have ever made. I just can't see it.

It's only 3 years away there isn't going to be some sudden enlightenment regarding technology, everything moves proportional to each other nowadays, so it'll be no slower seeming than today.

Then again maybe it won't. Too bad we'll all be dead in 50 or 60 years by the time they finally crack quantum computers ! No matter what it is, it can be calculated in seconds on those babies.

I agree with the piracy thing, although they don't lose money, the stores still stock this stuff out the door. It's about 500 quid a pop for most programs that Adobe, Macromedia or any of the other industrial leaders produce. They make a killing ! Adobe and the rest have never really been pissed when anyone illegally downloads it, it's just when they make money off of it they get a tad angry.

Yeah you're right. They won't stop selling the packaged versions and I won't stop downloading them =P (I'm a student for christ sakes are you expecting me to pay around 4000 for the software I need?) despite this, I can't even empathise with what in the HELL Adobe are thinking here...
    Check some of my stuff out at: http://www.ross-hendry.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JMX View Post
    This is just retarded ! At the best of times Photoshop uses up a good deal of processing power
    The program itself won't take up that much memory in RAM, it's the picture it's processing which is done on your machine which isn't transfered over the Internet. So it is feasible with high speed connections. Even still, load time might be quite long.

To be honest I don't think they're actually moving forward with this, they're just say it to cover their asses for when another web-based technology hits the web, like YouTube. So when and if it does become a manageable they can say "Oh, we've been working on/with it for years."

NLO Forums Frequenter Euclid will become famous soon enough Euclid will become famous soon enough

I mean they're going to load a 2 or 3 GB program through a web browser ? It's not even feasible.
    This is one of those statements which will be HILARIOUS in 10 years.

Hardcore NLO Fan JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute JMX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The program itself won't take up that much memory in RAM, it's the picture it's processing which is done on your machine which isn't transfered over the Internet. So it is feasible with high speed connections. Even still, load time might be quite long.

To be honest I don't think they're actually moving forward with this, they're just say it to cover their asses for when another web-based technology hits the web, like YouTube. So when and if it does become a manageable they can say "Oh, we've been working on/with it for years."
    Yeah, that's what I meant sorry. Most of the time Photoshop will just suddenly give an error message saying "OMFG ! !"! !111 SHIFT+1 ! ALL UR RAM R BELONG TO US!" and then you have to wait 30 seconds or so while it renders your image. Gotta admit for what it does, it computes pretty fast. I still can't see this catching on, I know a lot of people in the industry (myself included) that will be very uncomfortable about this.

Ha ! yeah you're probably right there mate ! That is to say if the law of computing continues to be proven right, which by the look of it, it shall ! They've found a new way to use fluorine in the chips so for a good while we'll expect them to get faster and faster still. Had me worried a bit for a while =P

Here's something, do you think they'll ever get to the point where the computers become more powerful than any program needs ?

Ha ! yeah you're probably right there mate ! That is to say if the law of computing continues to be proven right, which by the look of it, it shall ! They've found a new way to use fluorine in the chips so for a good while we'll expect them to get faster and faster still. Had me worried a bit for a while =P

Here's something, do you think they'll ever get to the point where the computers become more powerful than any program needs ?
    Nope. There are just some calculations that need more computing power than electrons in the Universe.

Well, the with the way computer science is going...

Because apparently they've managed to store data on electrons...

Yeah, that's exactly what a quantum computer is. Well in essence anyway.

I always thought quantum physics was things being there but at the same time, not.

NLO Administrator
    NLO Administrator Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute Ralph has a reputation beyond repute

I mean they're going to load a 2 or 3 GB program through a web browser ? It's not even feasible.
    Dammit, Euclid, you beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates
    640K ought to be enough for anybody.
    Note: Yes, I know, that quote is misattributed. But it's still funny.
    "Oh, Ralph - it's so big!!!" -- SaintSisterKate

Quote Originally Posted by Sarrk View Post
    I always thought quantum physics was things being there but at the same time, not.
    Well yeah, it works like that. It's something to do with the quantum properties of electrons. In quantum physics or WHATEVER field it's concerned in electrons are here, there, everywhere ! So yeah you were right, it means that any possibility for a problem can be calculated if you get me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Computers

I'm probably confusing you, just check that out mate ;]

Nice quote Ralph, made me laugh.